Friday 15 October 2010

Martyrs (Road to Halloween)

There are a lot of moments in life you probably won't forget; your first kiss, the first time you got really drunk (maybe you won't remember that one too well), but how many of you remember the first time your were properly scared by a film? I remember mine. I stayed up really late one night when I was a kid, all to watch "Candyman". It is one of the scariest films you could ever watch as a child, and for that matter it is still scary for me now!

The reason I like horror films is because I am a massive wimp in real life. I don't like feeling out of control through fear; no roller coasters or extreme sports for me. I like the feeling of fear that is achieved by watching films. I feel in control and yet, still utterly terrified. However, sometimes films come along where the fear takes hold a little too strongly and all bets are off. For me, there was something about "Martyrs" that made me feel scared on a level I haven't for a long time.

The story is about a girl and her friend, who is out to seek revenge on the people who abused her as a child. Both were the victims of abuse and discover something truly awful during their journey.

Now normally I would talk a lot more about the story and what happens, but with this film I just don't want to give anything away. Every second of the film is designed to shock you and by explaining it in more detail I would ruin that for when anyone else watches it.

Why does this film scare me? For a start there are some scenes of child abuse that are absolutely horrific. Children tied down and beaten within an inch of their life, it makes you feel morally wrong for even long. Then there is the violence; as if beating children wasn't bad enough. There are times in this film where the blood and gore are very graphic, but at the same time it all seems justifiable.

The thing in "Martyrs" that really does scare me is the handling of one of the girls psychotic delusions. there is something about mental illness in films that always make me feel uncomfortable, and it does far more than that here. The manifestations of her abuse are just plain creepy.

When I tried to get to sleep last night after watching the film, I couldn't. I was constantly opening my eyes waiting for something to be there in the shadows. It has been a long time since that feeling has overwhelmed me, but it is what I was looking for. Although, I feel that this is the first time I have ever been taken out of my comfort zone.

If you want a film that is going to scare you this Halloween, "Martyrs" probably isn't going to be the one for you; it does so much more than that. I feel mentally scarred and emotionally wrought after my viewing. I don't know if I will ever watch it again, but that first time is something I can guarantee I will not forget, and if you give it a chance you won't either.

Rating 5 out of 5

See it if you liked:
À l'intérieur (Inside)
Haute tension (Switchblade Romance)
Hostel: Part II

What does IMDB say?

Review by Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment